A few years ago, I worked for a conservator who instructed me to use GoJo hand cleaner (no scent, no pumice) to clean certain wood artifacts.  It was effective on dirt and stains, was easy on the hands, and according to our conservator (who I have no reason to doubt) it was supposed to be easy on the artifacts, as well.  That was a few years ago, and I’m wondering if any of y’all have any comments as to how good or bad this practice might be.  My thinking is that there is probably something archival and better out there, but that something is probably eight or ten times the price of a can of GoJo.  By the way, we were primarily working on wooden firearm and farming tool parts.  What say y’all?

Curtis Morris

Shiloh Museum of Ozark History