Hello Patti,

It is unusual to hear of software that will not let you enter paragraph breaks into a lengthy text field, so I can't immediately think of any canonical format for replacing them. I would suggest that you could pick pretty much any replacement characters that you want, provided that they meet two criteria:

1) They should not be easily confused with ordinary text in the notes.
2) You must use them consistently throughout your project.

If you do those two things, you would be able to automatically exchange the replacement characters for proper paragraph breaks in the future, if your needs change.

Here are a few recommendations:

!@#$ - Has the advantage of being easy to spot in the text, and shouldn't be confused for real text unless your John Doe swears a lot.

CRLF - This is an initialism for "Carriage Return, Line Feed" which are the control characters that represent a paragraph break in many computers anyway. Any database manager that works with your data will immediately know what this means.

\r\n - Another common way that computers represent "Carriage Return, Line Feed". Note that those are backslashes, not forward slashes.

Best regards,
Brian Bisbee