I also suggest contacting the local model train clubs.  Another way to find local clubs is to contact your nearest hobby store.  They frequently deal with the members and may know the who's-who in the local clubs.  Our model railroad club, which helps us with our depot museum, has portable train layouts to set up in shopping malls, nursing homes, etc for events.  You may find that your local club already has some layouts pre-made that would work for your event.

Stephanie Long
Curator of Collections
City of Las Cruces Museum System
P.O. Box 20000