Another option (also a plug for my own program) is to get a more generalized master's degree in public services management, such as the one at DePaul University in Chicago. This one stresses management and leadership skills in public services--including nonprofit management, government organizations, and social service agencies. While not as specific to the field as a museum studies degree, it has been called an MBA for the nonprofit world, and as such would hold great value in terms of executive leadership potential. (http://condor.depaul.edu/~pubserv/)

Megan Balderston

Katherine McLeister <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hello List:

I currently have a Bachelor's in History and have interned or worked for two small historical societies for the last four years.  I had hoped to find a job in the museum/historical society field that would allow for 'on the job training' from a professional to supplement my Bachelor's, but have not had much luck.  (My current employer has no formal training.)  In watching and applying for job postings, it seems that jobs are either part time and I couldn't support myself or they prefer/require a Master's degree.  So, I am seriously thinking of pursuing a Master's degree (possibly next fall) and would like your recommendations.

Ideally I want to work in a History Museum, but am open to work in any kind of historical society/institution, archive, and/or library to be able to support myself.  It would seem the safest option would be an MLIS (as opposed to Museum Studies) to allow the largest number of job possibilities.  However, I am concerned a MLIS program (even with specialization in archives) will not give me the Collections Management/Conservation and Artifact Handling training I would need to work in a museum.  Is this correct?  Are there universities and/or graduate programs that offer training in Library Science and Museum Studies?  Are there any universities that are considered the top schools in the Museum Community?

Please contact me off list with any input or suggestions.  Any help or advise is appreciated.  Thank you!

Kathy

Get your email and more, right on the new Yahoo.com ========================================================= Important Subscriber Information:

Do you Yahoo!?
Next-gen email? Have it all with the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta. ========================================================= Important Subscriber Information: