Whoa --- Ely Parker was also US Grant's personal secretary as I recall.
We shall certainly be on the lookout.

Also, did you see this?  Significant implications for military
collections:
http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/dekalb/stories/0726metexplode.htm

And finally a question related to the article above:  there is a
persistent rumor that the state of GA ended up with some of the shells
and other materials recovered from the "Expressway Cache" in the early
1960s.  This was the site of the Atlanta Arsenal, discovered beneath the
downtown connector near Grady Hospital.  The DuBoses and others
descended on it like locusts.  We have a couple of pieces here and Bo
still has some too, but the rumor is that the bulk of it went to the
state.  Do you know anything about it?  Just curious.

Best, Gordon

Gordon L. Jones
Vice President of Exhibitions and Collections | Atlanta History Center
130 West Paces Ferry Road NW
Atlanta, Georgia 30305
p | 404.814.4057 f | 404.814.2041
e | [log in to unmask]
Find out what's new now at the Atlanta History Center!
Visit www.AtlantaHistoryCenter.com <http://www.AtlantaHistoryCenter.com
<http://www.atlantahistorycenter.com/> >.