Hi Jenifer,

I work for the National Museum of the US Air Force (NMUSAF) in Dayton,
OH.  Staff development is a high priority here and as time and money
allows specialized training is encouraged.  To address your specific
questions:

Specific training opportunities in place:  NMUSAF offers an in-house
"museum orientation course" designed for new employees here at the
national museum as well as folks working in our field locations at air
force bases all over the country.  This is a 4.5 day course that
provides a general overview of professional museum practices as well as
guidance and training in NMUSAF specific issues (web-based artifact data
base, a/c restoration and maintenance, security issues, etc.).  Most of
the sessions are taught by other NMUSAF staff.  This is offered
biennially and at no cost (aside from the travel costs incurred by
participants).  Lately we've begun opening the course up to civilian
museums who have a/c on loan from us.  We've also begun offering shorter
courses (1-3 days) on narrower topics like collections management or a/c
restoration in the off years.  The Air Force History and Museums
Program, of which the NMUSAF is a part, offers some specialized
training, mostly related to straight historical topics (history of
American air power, etc.).  Staff can also pursue management or
leadership skill development courses offered by the federal civilian
personnel system.  These are competitive and very good, but expensive
and designed for senior staff employed in any of the federal
agencies/departments/etc.  They're not museum specific.

Who initiates training:  ultimately the responsibility for training and
development lies with the individual employee.  Supervisors/managers are
encouraged to in turn encourage their employees to seek out and pursue
opportunities but really it's up to the employee. I believe there is
some required training for new supervisors and the museum orientation
course has become a sort of de facto "must take" for new employees.

Training $$ allocated per employee: no, there is no per employee
training $$.  Departments within the museum are encouraged to include
training $ in their annual budget projections.  The Air Force History
and Museums career program (it's centrally managed out of Texas) have
some training money available on a first come/first serve basis.  This
goes fast.  I was able to take advantage of this money to attend the
JIMI (Jekyll Island Management Institute) a couple of years ago.

Out-source or in-house: General professional development opportunities
are out-sourced.  Folks learn about an opportunity (like JIMI or an AAM
sponsored workshop or whatever) and pursue it.  However our collection
management division did recently bring in someone from the Campbell
Center to conduct a one-day on site training.  So we're flexible!

Trends: My observation is that there has been a discernable push for
increased professional development from senior management.  They've
identified a need for staff to stay current and a need to provide
specialized (hard skills) training for some of our folks who do not have
professional degrees.  There's also (I think) a trend towards developing
leadership and management skills in some junior staff, especially as we
begin to see senior staff retirements in the near future.  Overall in
the last 7-8 years  staff professional development has really become a
priority.  It's just that budgets are extremely tight and there are
still some supervisors that claim they "just don't have the time" to
have staff (or themselves) pursue prof development opportunities.

Hope this helps!

Sarah Sessions
Civilian Museum Certification Program Manager
National Museum of the USAF