Having given the article/issue some thought - I think the mural should  be
removed to a more appropriate facility.

Some of the justification for leaving the mural there...such as their being
part of the history of the building...is a little weak. I'd wonder how many
other objects are still in place in that building...from before, during and
after the murals were installed?

The mural should be some place where they could be better cared for  (doesn't
quite sound like they have been), properly interpreted (just now  they're
thinking of doing this?), at a place where more people may be able  to view them
(and choose to do so) and at a location where the employees  wouldn't be
offended.

And what about he temporary 'display' board that was placed in front of the
mural? It was placed too close to the mural. Already an employee had  'rolled
it away' -what if that display board accidentally tipped over? It would
certainly cause damage to the mural.

Removing the mural is not at all obliterating history. In fact it may help
preserve it. Nobody is suggesting that it be destroyed.

A couple of weeks ago I came across a disturbing story -written by a former
CCC enrollee. This was written on a form where alumni could write comments or
share a story about their experiences in the CCC. This one was so racist -  a
southerner who had enrolled in an integrated camp in RI and hated it so much
that he left.

Of all the other hundreds of comments I've read -never anything like  this.
As disturbing as it was, it's a record that needs to be retained of  course.
I'll never have it out for museum visitor's to read though. But it is  available
to anyone who may have an interest in reading it.

Racism and other conflicts weren't tolerated in the CCC camps. If this man
had outwardly expressed his attitude and caused a problem, there were only two
choices available to him. One choice would have been to duke it out in the
boxing ring -(how conflicts between enrollees were resolved) or he could leave.
 He would have had to fight more than one guy - so being the coward he
evidently  was...he left.

Now this is the context/venue where I can bring up racism and hatred and
properly interpret this. But this is one man's racist comment - and I will not
state across the board that all southerner's were racist or that no
northerner's  were.

The mural on the other hand is an artist's depiction of what was most  likely
not an actual event. The artist obviously didn't paint this based on
personal experience. And the mural may suggest that all Indians  participated in
similar, savage behavior.

As best you may provide interpretation of this mural to the public...you
still can't control how people think and feel. Is this supposed to make the
employees feel less offended?

Pam

In a message dated 7/18/2006 3:58:10 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,