We don't have humidity control either.  In the rooms that seem the worse, we use dehumidifiers.  They run around the clock and B&G or Security empty them often.  In the library stack storage room, we have a dehumidifier running year round.  The room is small, so one is enough.  You may need several depending on the size of the space.  It reduced the humidity in the Library stack room from around 65-70 to a constant 52ish.  It has cut down on the mildew smell in there alot too (which came with the collection of books).  Best of luck.
Jill K. Harris
Virginia Museum of Natural History

Pamela Silvestri <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
The museum building where I work is averaging 70-75% humidity the last few days due to rain this past week. When I opened the building today...the entire cement floor was (is still) wet, all of my mail, paperwork and supplies are damp...sat down on my chair and it was damp too.

There is no way for me to prevent this occurrence on these rainy and/or humid days. As in the past, all I can do is dry things out when conditions improve.

My assessment of course is that at this level of humidity and for days at a time to boot- the collections are at risk (mold, mildew, deterioration, etc). I have never seen this much humidity and dampness in the building before and this all is due to the weather conditions (and without being able to control the indoor conditions).

If these conditions were to continue for much longer this week - should I consider finding a drier facility for some of the collections? If so - what would be most at risk (paper and leather, I would think) of the paper, photographic materials, textiles (mostly wool), leather, wood, plastics, and metal?

After how many days of high humidity should I consider it crucial enough time to take action? So far I have not seen any mold except for on some leather objects. All I have that is dry space is a small storage room.

Pam

Pamela Silvestri, Seasonal Interpretive Guide
Northeast States Civilian Conservation Corps Museum
Connecticut State Department of Environmental Protection
State Parks Division
Shenipsit State Forest Headquarters
166 Chestnut Hill Road
Stafford Springs, Connecticut 06076