Where I have placed a hygrothermograph is in a room where I have a large  fan
and a dehumidifier...so I do suspect the measurement would be higher
(probably close to 100%). The HVAC system was installed 5 years ago -heat only.
Vents are only in our larger room...which is @ 30'x250'. The other room is
30'x60' and there is a large doorway between Perhaps I should turn it on just to
get some air circulation? Don't know if the budget can handle the use of  xtra
propane, but if it's only for these wettest days...shouldn't be a  burden.
Vents are only in our larger room...which is @ 30'x250'. The other  room is
30'x60' and there is a large doorway between these rooms.

Like Dave mentioned - it would be a good idea for me to cover the doorway
and this should help with the one room. Incidentally - none of the windows open
. I have a ventilation fan  at the end of the larger room - and I can open
the door (which I keep closed to  try to stave off the humidity for as long as
possible). I do open the door when  the weather is nice -but only to dry out.
No screen door (I did request one last  Fall) so when I do this -barn swallows
have flown in and all the flying insects.  How they find

Pretty much, I've found that during the summer indoor conditions are worse
than that present outdoors - for the most obvious reasons here. I do not use a
dehumidifier in the larger room because there are enough spaces open to the
outside and otherwise with no insulation I'd just be drawing moisture in.

The industrial fan that I just got for the smaller room - well what I  really
needed was an exhaust fan installed but we weren't able to do this. I can
move air around but I really can't achieve good ventilation.

Just an example of the many challenges here - there are several
footlockers...all containing wool uniforms and cotton clothing. I've struggled  with
deciding whether or not to place these in textile storage boxes.  With the humid
conditions...the footlockers stay drier than boxes would. And I  would need to
have all the items properly cleaned/conserved before doing this  anyway. I
can't take objects from an unstable environment and place them in yet  another.

One solution I did find though is that I could hang these in the dry  storage
closet. I did buy padding for hangers and archival plastic covers.

As always, whenever I post these issues I get useful information and often
these responses get the wheels turning in my head.

Oh one last question - just by chance there were no visitors to the museum
today. If it's much the same dampness tomorrow or on others days...should I
consider not having the museum open?

Thanks,
Pam

In a message dated 6/29/2006 9:18:20 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,