Dear all

We are trying to work out what we should call the piece of lead that
secures a piece of architectural iron work (such as an iron railing)
into a socket in a piece of masonry.  My best attempt so far is "masonry
socket fill" which is not very elegant.  Do any of you have any better
suggestions, or indeed do you know of an existing name for this?

Trevor Reynolds

Collections Registrar

English Heritage 3 Bunhill Row, London EC1Y 8YZ

postal address English Heritage 1 Waterhouse Square, 138 Holborn, London
EC1N 2ST

Subscriber Information:

The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
read "help" (without the quotes).