Thank you, John, for this very calm and reasoned response. Hopefully, it will serve to lower the temperature.

 It is also a reminder of the enormous amount of work you do on behalf of us all, for which many thanks.

Ann Mintz

----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">John Chadwick
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2006 9:58 PM
Subject: Reminder about commercial e-mail

Greetings from the listowner,

I just want to remind folks about posting commercial messages to the list. We have a "self-moderated" list, which means that members of the list are expected to behave like adults and moderate their own postings. We maintain a fairly spam-free list, except for the rare occasion when I accidently click on approve instead of reject on the hundreds (literally) of spam messages that try to get through to the list.

The recent posting selling commercial art would have been rejected by the moderator if it had come from a non-subscriber. Questions about how to market items are fair game, but selling your wares is out of bounds. This is a discussion list that is meant to serve museum professionals, not a place for art dealers to drum up business.

Please cut out the flame war.

Thanks,

John