I'm sure there's probably an easier way to do this, but all engines (of which I am aware) have a VIN (vehicle identification number).  The VIN is registered with the state (at least it is here in California.  Would your Department of Motor Vehicles (that's what we call ours) be able to assist you in tracking that vehicle?

  If nothing else, I would contact either the Petersen Automotive Museum, the Wally Parks NHRA Museum (both of these two are in California), or the Don Garlits Museum in Ocala, Florida,  and see what they may be able to tell you.

  Depending on the story you got about the car and its type, you might be able to research it in Hot Rod Magazine (if it were a supposed big name).

Valerie Seiber <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  Hello,
Can anyone give me some tips for tracing the history of ownership of
antique automobiles? I don't have a clue where to start. All I have is the
word of mouth history from the current owner.
Thanks,
Valerie Seiber

Indigo Nights