I don't have the latest skinny on this.  I do know that, when I volunteered for them a couple of times when the Southwest was an independent entity, that they weren't too keen on the Autry thing, and that the Autry ED at the time was a rather brux, unpleasant woman (don't remember her name; just remember her condescending attitude).  The chief curator at the Southwest at the time, on the other side of the coin, was a delightful woman, as was the staff.

I've been to both venues, growing up here in LA.  Pre-Gold Line (light rail), the Southwest Museum was someplace that 4th Grade students went to on field trips when they studied California history (Native Americans), but then basically ignored.  There were Native American Marketplaces that drove in some visitors and revenue, but it never seemed like there were a lot of visitors.  It seemed to me that visitation was up somewhat when they opened the Gold line inasmuch as it has a stop right there by the property.

I've been to the Autry.  It's newer, and "cleaner," but it didn't seem to me that it did a huge amount of visitors.  There's a lot more space (or at least it feels like it) in the Autry, and I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't want to just combine the "Cowboys and Indians," but, more than that, with land prices being what they are, and that being on the hill, it would surprise me none if they did want to close it and market the property.  The thing to remember, however, is that there were houses falling down the hills in the previous years heavy rains.  The Southwest has stood, not so sure about new property (I go by there twice daily on my traverse to work).

I guess the question is, if they sell the property, will the Lummis home be far behind?  Redevelopers are land grabbing every where they can out here.

The zoo has been refaced recently, and the Planetarium is due to open soon.  Seems as though the Autry is trying to make this a one-stop venue.  Highland Park (still part of the city) has degraded considerably over the years, and the parking at the Southwest is not the best.  I can see where you MIGHT increase visitors by combining the two museums, but the building, itself, is a treasure.

Here's another story on the subject:

http://www.lacitybeat.com/article.php?id=3926&IssueNum=159

Richard Fields <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Is anyone familiar with what is going on at the Southwest Museum in Los Angeles? There was a report in the L.A. Times (http://www.calendarlive.com/galleriesandmuseums/cl-et-southwesta26jun26%2C0%2C6296510.story) about the museum temporarily closing and having its collection moved to parent organization Autry National Center. Locals seem to oppose the actions fearing the Autry wants to close the Southwest, while it appears the move is a positive for curation of the artifacts and building renovation. It just feels like there is more going on here than in the story. Anybody?

Indigo Nights
[log in to unmask] ========================================================= Important Subscriber Information: