Thanks Diane - I'm a designer and not a Curator and I apologize for jumbling my stuff to Dave. eeerrrrr.....duh....The curse of late night Emailing!

Rich

-----Original Message-----
From: Diane Gutenkauf <dgutenkauf@EXHIBITWORKS.COM>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 10:18:35 -0400
Subject: Re: farm themes, programs and exhibits

Hey Rich

Since you sent this to the list, I guess it's not a yet to be revealed
aspect anymore.

Anyway, the "why" of adopting subsistence agriculture is an a bit of an
anthropological no-brainer. Raising food allows one to stockpile
food...hence developing a reliable source of calories...hence allowing for
the rise of non-food producing workers...hence settlements...

Maybe you mean the question Jonathan is exploring is "how"?

As for Cahokia, it was all there...good forests for firewood, building and
hunting, good bottomland along the river for farming, lots of river
resources to supplement farming (fish and shellfish especially), along
trade routes linking Copper country with mezoamerica.

Diane

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 19:42:16 -0400, [log in to unmask] wrote:

>Dave
>
>This is as yet to be revealed aspect of farming however it is entirely of
a fundamental nature. 'Farming' our subsistence agriculture will be one of
the themes explored in great detail within the framework of the new Hall
of Native American cultures that will open at the Field Museum in the
spring.

>Curator Jonathan Haas has worked very hard at detailing how the emergence
of 'farming' was directly related to the emergence of culture in the
Americas. In addition they will tackle issues of conservation and how or
if or if so...WHY did early human beings switch from hunting and gathering
to 'farming' as a way of making a living. This topic is especially
relevant especially within the framework of the Midwest as one of the
largest metropolitan settlements known in the ancient world was in
Southern Illinois at Cahokia. Cahokia ranks only slightly behind the major
urban cultures of the Maya and Aztec in force of sheer numbers.

>Rich

involve farm related themes and experiences. Any favorites out there?
Anything that struck you as particularly thoughtful and insightful?

>Would be particularly interested in ways the farm and farming has been
addressed in other types of museums outside of living history farms.

>Thanks,
>Dave
Subscriber Information:
>The Museum-L FAQ file is located at http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-
faq/ . You may obtain detailed information about the listserv commands by
sending a one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] . The
body of the message should read "help" (without the quotes).
[log in to unmask] . The body of the message should
read "Signoff Museum-L" (without the quotes).
>Check out AOL.com today. Breaking news, video search, pictures, email and
IM. All on demand. Always Free.