We've evolved! When I first started as Executive Director, I did all the
cleaning - or found volunteers to help. A year later I was able to hire an
assistant who works during the museum's open hours. She took on the "light"
housecleaning such as vacuuming, dusting, cobweb patrol, etc. This spring
our museum became a work site for adjudicated community service.

I can't say enough good about the community service program. I know you
occasionally get a bad egg, or a lazy worker, but by and large, our workers
have been fabulous. We recently had a professional painter doing community
service. He looked over our building, and met with me with a proposal.
Instead of menial cleanup tasks, he cleaned the outside of our building and
painted it. Our trim was in serious need to repainting. I don't think
there's a surface left that he hasn't at least touched up. He was also quick
to "get it" that he was working on a historic building and needed to use our
materials, and to follow our direction. He said it was a real education for
him. And we got a ton of work done by a happy worker. We usually offer a
choice of tasks and a lot of the ladies would prefer "housework" over
cleaning out sheds, repairing fences or policing the grounds.

What kinds of crimes have these folks committed? The biggies are: passing
bad checks, DUIs, and assault. (I ALWAYS want to know the details of the
assaults. They're usually bar fights. But, I always give my assistant the
final say, since she supervises the workers.)

So far, this program has been a win-win. The Community Service Program is
thrilled to have us as a site. The workers love our site and are made to
feel like any other volunteer. We now have a sparkling facility, and a
seemingly endless supply of labor.

Practical matters - There is a very small amount of record keeping, and you
do need to supply tools and materials. You can specify which types of
criminals you will or won't accept. For instance, our site will not accept
anyone convicted of a child-related or crime. And of course you need to use
some common sense - a petty thief probably shouldn't be put to work in your
gift shop.

Oh yeah, we've had a few community service folks make the transition to
volunteers after their sentence was served.

Becky Fitzgerald
Susquehanna Museum
  _____