I am hoping someone on this list can point me in a good direction.  We have had a gentleman offer a costume to the museum which does not fall under our collecting policy, but I would like to direct him to a more appropriate museum before I turn him down.  It is a lovely, velvet, Victorian rendition of a Revolutionary War era men’s costume, probably made for the centennial in 1876.  It is quite fancy with a lot of lace and metallic embroidery, and French in flavor.  It has been in his Rhode Island family for at least 100 years, although it is not clear who made it originally.  The breeches have been repaired several times, but the coat is in decent condition if one overlooks the areas where the silk lining is worn.

Many thanks for suggestions of an appropriate repository.

Ellen Dyer,  Curator/Education Director

Montpelier

The General Henry Knox Museum

P.O. Box 326