Announcement for Integrated Pest Management Policies

The Integrated Pest Management Working Group (IPM-WG) is a group of collection managers, conservators and other professionals interested in issues surrounding the implementation of integrated pest management in museum and other collection-holding institutions. The group is informally hosted by the American Museum of Natural History in New York and meets on an ad-hoc basis. The goal of the group is to promote and facilitate good IPM practices and collaboration between staff and institutions through the development and on-line distribution of training materials and other resources. The group also maintains the IPM listserve which provides a forum for discussion of IPM-related topics.

One of our major objectives is to provide an on-line resource to help museums and other institutions develop standards and best practices for an Integrated Pest Management policy. Because many museums already have an IPM policy, the working group has begun to gather examples of these policies so that a comprehensive assessment can be made of these existing policies and to provide access to this information via the IPM-WG’s website ( www.museumpests.net). The intent of this on-line resource is to provide a tool to help museums and other institutions develop an IPM policy that fits their specific needs. We are asking all interested museums to send us a copy of their IPM policy. While you may submit it at your convenience, we would appreciate receiving it as soon as possible to facilitate our ongoing analysis. It is possible that we may request examples of individual policies to be made accessible over the IPM-WG’s website. We are aware of concerns a museum may have in relation to permissions, credit line and anonymity, and we will certainly abide by a museum’s wishes in regards to these issues. If you have an IPM policy you would like to share with us, it can be sent electronically to [log in to unmask] or by mail to Linda Klise, Peabody Museum of Natural History, Paleobotany Division, Yale University, 170 Whitney Ave., P.O. Box 208118, New Haven, CT 06520-8118. We appreciate your taking the time to send us this information.