Theresa,
You received an excellent reply from Rick Fields, which I would second.
However, it is clear that your Board also needs some personal, hands-on,
participatory  training in being a Board member and fundraising.  You are at
a period of transition, from a closely held Board who feel they "own" the
museum to one that supports and reflects your mission for the benefit of the
public. I would suggest you contact other museums in your regional
association and find out who they would recommend (i.e. have used and liked
the results) for Board development training. Growing pains are pretty
uncomfortable, and some will drop out in a snit. Others will be pleased by
the respect and responsibility given to them. Grants for development and
capacity building are easily accessible, in fact the consultant you choose
will know what foundations have funder his or her work successfully. Other
museums in your regional association will know as well.  You are not
reinventing the wheel here, we have all been through this at some period in
our development.

I have found that the best board recruitment and fundraising comes from
board members who think about the other people in their circles, be it
church related, business, recreation, clubs, whatever, and suggest to them
one on one that they would enjoy being on the museum board, guiding policy
and acting as ambassadors and fundraisers.  Develop application forms and
keep a biographical history of each of your board members. Establish a
rotation. If someone must leave the board because their term is up, keep
them involved as chair of a committee. AND DON'T FORGET THE REWARDS-- a
special luncheon or trip just for the board and their long-suffering spouses
or partners.

Good luck!

Micki Ryan
Curator