In a message dated 5/26/2006 1:37:39 AM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask] writes:
Actually, MARC format has a field for accession information (541) and another for exhibition citations (585), which we use in archival records.  While there is no designated condition field, we use a local field, 590, which has been configured to display the label "condition" in the OPAC.  With a little tweaking, we find MARC adaptable for cataloguing "three-dimensional" artifacts.

Below is a snippet from Library of Congress' website where I go when reviewing MARC formats.  506 is a great way to incorporate material with restrictions, and quite frankly, since I jumped into the middle of the thread, I'm not certain what kinds of "conditions" can't be noted in MARC.  Access to materials is just one type of condition; Conditions requiring certain actions on the part of the receiving institution are the kind of conditions that can be coded in the accessions note field as David H. has already mentioned.  If one is talking about the physical condition of the item, then MARC field 583 is a great way to go, and it is used extensively for preservation notes--when an item's physical condition is reviewed, when conservation is scheduled, by whom, what type of conservation is desired, when it was done, etc.

And yes, you can do objects in MARC.  Unfortunately, it is usually done by someone who either is not familiar with MARC, or someone who is not familiar with objective cataloging (please pardon double entendre!) and unless one knows both, the results will always be limmited accordingly.

More later!

Holly Mills
Amherst County Museum
Amherst, VA

Subfield Codes

Examples

506

##$aClassified.

506

##$aFor official use only.

506

##$3Office files of Under Secretary$aNo one may examine these records or obtain information from them or copies of them except by written permission;$bSecretary of the Treasury or his duly authorized representative;$cKept in remote storage; access requires 24 hours advance notice.

506

##$aRestricted access;$cWritten permission required;$bDonor.

506

##$aRestricted: cannot be viewed until 2010;$dMembers of donor's family.

506

##$aClassified under national security provisions;$bDepartment of Defense;$eTitle 50, chapter 401, U.S.C.

506

##$aSome restrictions apply. Consult restricted access file for restriction details: $u[URI]