In a message dated 5/26/2006 1:37:39 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
Actually, MARC format has a field for accession information (541) and another
for exhibition citations (585), which we use in archival records.  While
there is no designated condition field, we use a local field, 590, which has been
configured to display the label "condition" in the OPAC.  With a little
tweaking, we find MARC adaptable for cataloguing "three-dimensional" artifacts.

Below is a snippet from Library of Congress' website where I go when
reviewing MARC formats.  506 is a great way to incorporate material with restrictions,
and quite frankly, since I jumped into the middle of the thread, I'm not
certain what kinds of "conditions" can't be noted in MARC.  Access to materials is
just one type of condition; Conditions requiring certain actions on the part
of the receiving institution are the kind of conditions that can be coded in
the accessions note field as David H. has already mentioned.  If one is talking
about the physical condition of the item, then MARC field 583 is a great way
to go, and it is used extensively for preservation notes--when an item's
physical condition is reviewed, when conservation is scheduled, by whom, what type
of conservation is desired, when it was done, etc.

And yes, you can do objects in MARC.  Unfortunately, it is usually done by
someone who either is not familiar with MARC, or someone who is not familiar
with objective cataloging (please pardon double entendre!) and unless one knows
both, the results will always be limmited accordingly.

More later!

Holly Mills
Amherst County Museum
Amherst, VA
Subfield Codes
$a - Terms governing access (NR)
Legal, physical, or procedural restrictions imposed on individuals wishing to
see the described materials.
$b - Jurisdiction (R)
The name of a person, an institution, or a position or function within the
institution, by whom or which the terms governing access are imposed and to whom
the restriction may be appealed.
$c - Physical access provisions (R)
Arrangements required for physical access.
$d - Authorized users (R)
A class of users or specific individuals to whom the restrictions in subfield
$a do not apply.
$e - Authorization (R)
The source of authority for the restriction.
$u - Uniform Resource Identifier (R)
The Uniform Resource Identifier (URI), for example a URL or URN, which
provides electronic access data in a standard syntax. This data can be used for
automated access to an electronic item using one of the Internet protocols.
$3 - Materials specified (NR)
$5 - Institution to which field applies (NR) See Control Subfields
$6 - Linkage (NR) See Control Subfields
$8 - Field link and sequence number (R) See Control Subfields
Examples

506
##$aClassified.

506
##$aFor official use only.

506
##$3Office files of Under Secretary$aNo one may examine these records or
obtain information from them or copies of them except by written
permission;$bSecretary of the Treasury or his duly authorized representative;$cKept in remote
storage; access requires 24 hours advance notice.

506
##$aRestricted access;$cWritten permission required;$bDonor.

506
##$aRestricted: cannot be viewed until 2010;$dMembers of donor's family.

506
##$aClassified under national security provisions;$bDepartment of
Defense;$eTitle 50, chapter 401, U.S.C.

506
##$aSome restrictions apply. Consult restricted access file for restriction
details: $u[URI]