Your one-quarter rupee note sounds like a Japanese occupation of Burma note, issued in 1942.

Lonn Taylor
Fort Davis, Texas
On May 18, 2006, at 4:22 PM, Darryl MacKenzie wrote:

Please forgive any cross posting.

While doing some accessioning today, we came across two bank notes between the pages of a copy of "The Concise Ready Reckoner and Interest Tables" by Arnold Thomas. One note is a 100 Kronur note from Iceland, that I believe was minted in 1961, the other is more elusive.

It is a 1/4 Rupee note issued by the Japanese Government, blue ink on cream coloured linen paper. To either side of denomination of the note, the capital letters BE are in red ink. If anyone has information on this item, we would appreciate hearing from you. A search on the internet has thus far yielded no information about Japan issuing Rupee notes, or India receiving notes from the japanese government.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Darryl MacKenzie,
Manager,
Oliver and District Museum