Cathy,

  My understanding is that they are very few law schools out there with an emphasis in Museum law, typically courses are on Art Law (VARA, copyright, 1st amendment, etc.) However, I know Texas Tech University has a course on Museum and Art Law.

  Tech's museum law course has a sizeable emphasis on the organizational structures for museums (e.g.tax law for non-profit organizations), but also covers a variety of other legal issues facing museums such as statutes relating to cultural patrimony and laws relating to contracts, torts, employment, etc.

  The following are the texts used in that course:

  Lind, Robert C., Robert M. Jarvis, and Marilyn E. Phelan.  Art and Museum Law: Cases and Materials.  Carolina Academic Press, 2002.

  Phelan, Marilyn E. Museum Law: A Guide for Officers, Directors and Counsel.  American Association of Museums, 2001.

  FYI - The course is currently taught by Marilyn Phelan.

  Feel free to email me directly with additional questions.  Museum law is something I looked into a year ago before my life took me in a different direction.  It's also something I may go back to at some point.

  Hope this helped!

  Natalie Bari
  J. Paul Getty Museum
  Graduate Intern, Education

  [log in to unmask] wrote:
  Hello,

I'm interested in the area of museum law - does anyone know of a school that teaches such a course? I would appreciate any/all suggestions on how to enter this field.
Cathy Campbell

Natalie Bari
806-790-0144

Talk is cheap; doin' is the thing.