Hello Aaron,

I'm a librarian, working with CA State Parks, at their Museum Resource Center.  I've been going through a similar situation for the past few months.  I would suggest contacting the MLIS programs at  UCLA and San Jose State university and ask to set up a student project or practicum.

I agree with an earlier responder in that you'll need to decide whether a volume is an artifact or a reference item and handle them differently.

There is to much to dicuss in an email but if you'd like to contact me directly please do so.