Hello everyone,

I am hoping someone on this list can give me some advice.  Our museum has a plexiglass vitrine that was stored underneath an air-conditioner/air-handling unit that has dripped hard water onto it.  The plexi is now soiled with calcium and rust deposits.

We've rinsed off the plexiglass carefully with plain water and let it dry.  The plexiglass is still cloudy, but I think that the stain will come off if it is handled properly (dabbing it with plexi cleaner seemed to help).  I believe that the unit above the vitrine had been leaking for a couple of days before it was discovered.

Can anyone recommend a product to use that will clean the plexiglass without harming it?  I'm concerned that the stain is too much for a standard plexiglass cleaner but I don't want to get a product that will scratch the case.

Thanks,

Andrew Goldstein
Curator, Valdez Museum & Historical Archive