Hi Lori:

Depending on the period your cabin represents, you might want to check the website of the Chemical Heritage Foundation, a historic collection of academic chemistry.

From the folk-chemistry perspective, however...
I've met a guy who does a colonial chemistry show at county-fair like events. A chemist of the time he represents was a pharmacist. Drugs were medicinal plants in teas and tinctures, and even ground-up clays or insects. He has a lot of copy of original documentation... ie: letters from historic archives where some mother of the period he represents was writing home to her mother in Europe to describe things like the baby's ailments, which herbs they tried, how they prepared them, and how the kid is progressing as a result. The guy's been collecting and preparing herbal samples for quite a few years and has his own road show pharmacopeia. One of the best road shows I've seen.

diane