Hi Candace

Have you seen Mark Thistlethwaite’s Painting in the grand manner : the art of Peter Frederick Rothermel (1812-1895) ?

His “Columbus before the Queen” (1841) has romantic garb and you should see his “Downer Children” (1850) both are at the Smithsonian American Art Museum. His work is also found at National Portrait Gallery in London and at the Reading Public Museum in PA.

AskArt also lists eight other works…

Hope that this helps!

Best,

Ware