Rome Area History Museum

10-Week Paid Archives Internship Opportunity

Summer 2006

The Rome Area History Museum is appropriately located in the heart of Historic Downtown Rome, Georgia as a vital center for local historical research.  RAHM was established in 1996 to promote an understanding of our shared past and to inspire a stronger sense of community in the Rome area.  The museum strives to achieve this goal through preserving, interpreting, and exhibiting collections portraying the history of Rome and the surrounding area.

The permanent exhibits create a walk through time starting with the Native Americans and early settlers, through the founding of Rome, the Civil War, and the development of Rome’s culture, life-ways, and industries.  Original documents such as maps, blueprints, photographs, personal letters, and business records provide primary sources that paint a picture of Rome’s people and history.

Primary sources are also available to the public through the museum archive.  The archive attracts visitors interested in researching their family history, historic structures, and historic events.  Much of the archival materials have been only partially processed.  During the summer of 2006, RAHM will begin to process and re-house its collections.  To fulfill this goal, we are offering a paid internship for 10 weeks.  We are seeking a graduate student with training or experience working with archives.  The intern will report to the Museum Director and will work 40 hours per week at $8/hr.

Archives Intern

Duties:  The intern will complete a Disaster Preparedness Plan for the Museum.  The intern will process (inventory, catalog, index, and re-house) two major archival collections: photos collected by two generations of the Wyatt family, and the research notes and articles of Roger Aycock a local reporter and author of All Roads to Rome.  Data entry of collections records in PastPerfect software.

Qualifications:  Previous experience working with archival collections is required.  Must be computer savvy and able to multi-task.

How to Apply

Internship applications must be postmarked by April 20, 2006.  Funding for this internship is contingent upon receipt of a grant from the Georgia Historical Records Advisory Board.  Notification of grant awards will be made in May.  The internship should begin in June.

A completed application consists of the following:

Every effort is made to match the skills and interests of prospective interns with the needs and priorities of the department and the institution overall. Applications are encouraged from African American, Asian American, Latino, and Native American applicants.

Katie Anderson

Museum Director

Rome Area History Museum

305 Broad Street

Rome, GA 30161

706-235-8051

cell 678-908-7751

fax 706-235-6631

www.RomeHistoryMuseum.com

Starting on March 16, join us for our new Third Thursday Lecture Series.  See our website for the listing.

A new exhibit highlighting recent acquisitions to our collection is open at the Museum.  "This Just In" illustrates many stories of the area's past through artifacts such as the pre-Civil War Rome Light Guard's drill flag, a milk bottling machine, a Victorian era mourning dress and vacuum sweeper, a model of Admiral Towers NC-4 plane, and much more!

Traveling Trunks!  The Civil War and Maps Traveling Trunks are now available for a small fee.  Reproductions, hands-on activities and lesson plans meet Georgia State curriculum standards.  Great for Scouts and homeschoolers too.  Reserve a Trunk today!

"World War II: The Home Front” traveling exhibit is now available for schools, senior centers, and other organizations.  Call Katie Anderson for more information.