Dear List Serve,

I am new to the museum field and I want to be sure to handle a bug problem correctly.  The museum I am at has a IPM program but does not specify how to deal with getting the bugs out of an exhibit. It simply covers the preventative aspect.

In several displays there are a number of dead (at least they are not moving-at all) bugs, about the size of a fruit fly.  I am concerned because the objects are leather, beads, and horse hair.  We are a small museum and do not have a lot of funds.  When I have removed the objects and cleaned the display should I return them to the display and keep a close eye on them?  I do not want to remove the objects and place them where it could potentially lead to a wider spread infestation.  I do not have any place to place them, other than the display, where they would be separate from the rest of the collection.

Any help regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

Becca