As the Collections Coordinator at my museum, I have come across some great beaded purses in our collection. Unfortunately, some have been exposed to poor conditions in the past and therefore are falling apart in places. One particular purse, a bead embroidered purse, needs repairs, first to make it stable and then possibly to repair it. The fabric has deteriorated in one spot, about two inches wide, and thus has loosened the threads and beads.

I have asked a local woman to repair them once I have more information on the guidelines for this type of repair. So far, my plans are to stabilize the beads by tying them off. However, given the extent of the damage, it may be difficult. I am not against repair, but my thoughts are to repair it with a different colored fabric from the original and also use different colored beads that will make the repair obvious in case we would like to remove it in the future. Given that it is bead embroidery, it’s a little more difficult to repair, since it requires both fabric and beading. Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated. Also, some of our other purses with damage were made on a loom. I would also appreciate any suggestions related to those if possible or people to contact with beaded purses/bead knowledge.

Thanks so much!

Tracy Behrendt