Re: [MUSEUM-L] open hearth cooking
When I was curator of education at Monmouth County Historical Association (NJ), back in the 1990s, we frequently did open hearth cooking programs at the Covenhoven House in Freehold.  Once a week from we did a cooking program for school groups which was always fully booked, with interpreters in period clothing, using reproduction cooking gear [Dutch ovens, spider skillets, grid irons, et al.].  And we did an annual "Open Hearth, Open House" public program on the day after Thanksgiving, which usually attracted 500 to 750 visitors in a day.  The local fire department regularly inspected the fireplace for us, and led fire safety workshops for the interpreters.  According to the MCHA website, [http://www.monmouth.com/~mcha/education.htm ] they're still offering the open hearth school program.

Pat McDermott
Development Officer
Newark Public Library

I have a question for those historic sites that are doing living history.  What are the thoughts on doing open hearth cooking in historic structures?  Are there any sites that do this?  Any legal issues involved with this?  If any sites are doing this, were there insurance issues?

Sharon Maguire