Has anyone tried this?  It makes me a really nervous and would never do this but recently had a colleague tell me they tried it.  I almost fell out of my chair gasping for air but then thought I’d ask the knowledgeable folks on the listserv if anyone’s used this method of newspaper preservation.  See article below:

Preserving the news! Dissolve a milk of magnesia tablet in a quart of water, and let it stand overnight. Pour the mixture into a flat baking pan large enough to hold the news clippings that you want to preserve. Place the clippings in the solution so they're completely covered by the liquid. Let them soak for an hour. Then take them out and pat them dry. They'll be crisp and new for a long time to come! (This works because the magnesium carbide in the solution neutralizes the acid in the paper; it is the acid that makes the newspaper yellow.)

Thanks,

Dusty M. Hibbs

Manager of Heritage Programs

Vandalia Heritage Foundation

701 Benoni Avenue

Fairmont, WV  26554

304.363.3547

www.vandalia.org

Confidentiality Note:  This e-mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, distribution or other dissemination of this e-mail message and/or the information contained in it and any attachment(s) is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail message, please contact the sender by reply e-mail at dhibbs@vandalia.org and destroy all copies of the original message and any attachments. Thank you for your cooperation.