In a message dated 2/23/2006 6:08:05 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask] writes:
Have any of you restored ghost signs?  Meaning, the painted advertisments
on the sides of brick buildings which have faded over time.  We are
researching three signs near our museum that we would like to restore, and
are being met with mixed reviews.  Some feel we should leave them as is,
others say we can restore them if the structure is not on any kind of
register, etc....

It would be a great help to hear if any of you have gone through such a
process and how you went about it.

Thank you in advance,

Holly North, Curator of Collections
The Grace Museum
Abilene, TX

I would highly recommend that you obtain an opinion/consult with a professional, Union signpainting shop. Ultimately, this is who you will want to hire if you decide to restore the ghost...and will assist you in preserving it if you decide to retain it as a ghost. And my opinion would be the latter .

Decades ago, when I was a teen I served as a pre-apprentice in a Union sign shop. This was just shortly before vinyl lettering machines became widely-used...so I had the opportunity to learn signpainting the old fashioned way. Drawing lines and freehand lettering! (also found out that I couldn't draw a straight line because of my astigmatism..so I had to learn to compensate for this!)

Signpainter's are a dedicated lot and if you ask around, you'll find the right one that will assist you in making an informed decision and will also be able to do the work that needs to be done!

Also, although there were many signpainters who did work on their own and freelance work too...many more worked in shops and/or were affiliated with local shops (especially if there was a special paint, a brush or other equipment that they needed). Some of these shops are still around today! If you get lucky - you may find records pertaining to the original sign!

Good luck Holly!

Pam