We are getting ready to mount an exhibit.  Does anyone have suggestions of adhesives for labels that won’t do damage to walls?

Katie,

Columbia, PA

From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of George Garner
Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2006 9:28 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MUSEUM-L] ADA Exhibit Requirements

Hi John,

AAM published a fantastic resource called Standards Manual for Signs & Labels. Visit http://aam-us.org/bookstore/detail.cfm?id=595 to purchase. When the Met decided to redo their label copy, they studied optimal readability for a variety of visitors. The results in this book offer great minimal standards for different needs of visitors and different types of labels. It has become my ready-reference manual whenever I'm designing label copy.

But the other post was correct. Ideally, wall-mounted text should be centered around 43-51" with at least an 80% contrast between text and background, a readable font, and a size large enough for the distance the visitor can easily view it from. The book has examples of typefaces and type sizes. There's nothing wrong with floor labels or hanging titles from the ceiling so long as they're angled properly and are large enough and readable enough. Again, the book can help. It was well worth the $25 cost ($34 for non-members) and made a significant impact on my museum and our visitors. I get a lot of complements, particularly from some of our older volunteers.

Best,
George Garner

George Garner
Director of Exhibitions
Center for History
808 West Washington, South Bend, IN 46601
www.centerforhistory.org // (574) 235-9664

--------

Celebrate Black History Month in February at the Center for History by visiting the exhibition, "A Free Life."

John Martinson wrote:

I had a question on ADA requirements for exhibits.  We are having
conversation on the issue of
wheelchairs and that the "exhibit can be seen from viewing sightings of
43 in. to 51 in. high from the floor."
(p 5 of 39 ADMS, PNNEW INDEX).

Does that mean that we can only have 8 in. of panel on the wall, or
that the panel must fit within that area
off the floor, or it could mean the panel can be anywhere from 0 in. to
51 in's from the floor?
I have seen no museums are using only an 8 inch section of panel (43 to
51 in. from the floor) for their exhibit/labels, or have their entire
panels/exhibit BELOW 51 inches.

Sitting in a chair near the panels it is readable, but we were thinking
there are more people who are 5 feet 5 or taller who would have a very
difficult time looking down at something 43 inches, especially if trying
to read the text.

How does your museum comply with ADA requirements with this issue?

John
Boise, ID

If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the message should read "Signoff Museum-L" (without the quotes). ========================================================= Important Subscriber Information: