We have people that use the facility for rentals, and we don’t count them as visitors unless they go into the museum itself. No  matter which area they go to; children’s museum, main museum, they are counted only once.  We often have large “free day” functions for kids etc, that pulls in 1,000 people for that event.. And we definitely count all those!

We were discussing at our staff meeting how to better count our visitors.  We wondered what other facilities do.

We have visitors to our museum, planetarium, and observatory; organizations who use our banquet/conference hall:  school groups;    and those who visit a combination thereof.
We wondered how other facilities count these people.  If they come to the museum and then go
to the planetarium are they counted 2 times?  If it is a school group and they do the museum educational program, planetarium and observatory is each child, teacher, parent volunteer counted 3 times?  If they are coming to see a planetarium progam and spend 1 minute in the museum are they counted 2 times.  If they come in, leave and return are they counted 2 times?
Or as they enter the building is that the only time they are counted.

Does anyone know of a research project on this?

Thanks for your help,
Phyllis Oppenheim
Collections Manager

--