In February, master museum record keeping, write a disaster preparedness plan, or complete your first grant without leaving your museum.  Northern States Conservation Center's online training brings current information on museum practices to you through the Internet.

MS 103: The Basics of Museum Registration
January 29 to February 25, 2006
Master the ABCs of museum record keeping in the Basics of Museum Registration  and finally discover why museums use those little bitsy numbers on artifacts. Participants learn about registration, accession, common numbering systems and how to craft a mission statement for their museum. Finally, the course reviews the importance of having  and using  a registration manual and what it should contain. Each participant will write a mission statement, as well as collection and acquisition policies for a “new” museum. The curriculum also requires written commentary on museum missions, an accessioning exercise and drafting a sample registration manual.  (In 2006 this course will be available in French and English.)

“I have enjoyed many of the classes offered through NSCC and really learn a lot. … The class was taught extremely well and provided great information. Peggy was an inspiring person!” - MS103 Student

MS 206: Disaster Planning II: Writing a Disaster Preparedness Plan
February 6 through March 17, 2006
Get out of a rut and write that disaster plan!  Current museum accreditation requires that you have a disaster plan, but the majority of museums haven't been able to complete one. Assemble the information you gathered about suppliers, responders and your collection inventory and write each section of your institutional disaster plan with the assistance and comments of instructor Terri Schindel.  The purpose of a written Disaster Preparedness and Response Plan is to educate all participants in their role and responsibilities in an emergency situation.  As you write your plan, you will begin preparations for drills and  teamwork exercises that make implementing the plan a snap.  Information about additional resources and services will be provided.

"In order to write the DPRP you need to set aside a significant amount of time and this class forced me to do that so I completed most of the plan.  Hooray!”  MS 206 Student

“I really appreciate Terri’s time, knowledge, and flexibility to answer my questions and give good suggestions.  Thanks so much.”  MS 206 Student

MS 302: Fundraising and Grantwriting
February 6 through March 3, 2006
The National Endowment for the Humanities plans to give out $10 million in federal challenge grants this year. And that’s just one grant program run by one funding source. Learn how to get a piece of the millions of dollars in federal, state and private funding for your institution by taking Northern States Conservation Center’s online grant writing class. This course introduces students to options for funding a wide range of collection-care needs. Students learn about different forms of fund-raising, how to locate funding sources, and how to write a successful grant proposal. Each student will complete a draft grant deadline. Remember, the deadlines for 2006 grants already are set by most institutions, so the time to act is now.

“I thought the materials were very well done. The readings were easy to understand and apply to the subject matter at hand.”  - MS 302 Student

Please sign up at www.museumclasses.org and pay at http://www.collectioncare.org/tas/tas.html.  If you have trouble with either, please contact Helen Alten at [log in to unmask] .  All courses are $395 (US dollars), with no shipping fees (change the shipping option when you order).