Our museum, part of a college, has a donation box in the shape of a saber-tooth tiger head.  We are an anthropology and natural history museum. It draws a lot of attention and kids are always asking mom or dad for money to feed the kitty.
We have a planetarium and an observatory so we have a gravity well that also gets attention. There are times when visitors come in just to put money in the gravity well and watch it work, then they leave. (The money in it goes to pay for the well and when it is paid for then the money will be used for other museum purposes.)
Phyllis Oppenheim
Collections Manager
The Herrett Center

Our gallery has a clear donation box.  When we deposit donations, we
leave several bills as seed money, which seems to help encourage
donations.  Last year, we updated our sign from "donations appreciated"
to "$2.00 donation requested."  Donations increased dramatically.

James H Tichgelaar
Assistant Director
Arkansas State University Museum
http://museum.astate.edu

Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.