In a message dated 1/19/2006 9:28:11 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask] writes:
Hello. I have an old negative dating back to the early 1900s and need to have it redeveloped, however, I am unsure where to go. I live in the Wilmington, NC area and would appreciate any input the list has in this matter.
I was  puzzled by what you meant by "redeveloped."  Answers thus far apparently assume you meant what, in pre-digital days, we called "printed," meaning producing a positive image on paper from it, but I thought I would check and make sure you didn't have in mind a chemical treatment of the negative itself, such as to enhance it because it was underexposed or underdeveloped.  That would be an entirely different issue.

One reply suggested that scanning the negative might be harmful.  I'd just like to reassure you that most film and glass negatives (including those from the "early 1900s") are stable enough for scanning.  An early 19th century paper negative might be at risk, however.

David Haberstich