Hoag Levins has written a convincing argument for the origins of pineapples being a symbol of hospitality. See: http://www.levins.com/pineapple.html

Essentially, this new world delicacy was the height of sophistication. Before refrigeration, a pineapple that actually reached Europe or major colonial ports was such a delicacy it meant that the successful host or hostess was making extraordinary efforts for their guests if a pineapple graced their dining table. Pineapples were few and far between so the culture developed to include the image of the pineapple to show guests that a household was up-to-date with the desire to have pineapples, even in sculpture form, if the real thing were not available.

If the symbolism extends earlier, I would look to Renaissance Florence and Della Robbia ceramics for further research.

Hope this helps,
Ware

Pineapple as Hospitality Symbol

In larger, well-to-do homes, the dining room doors were kept closed to heighten visitors' suspense about the table being readied on the other side. At the appointed moment, and with the maximum amount of pomp and drama, the doors were flung open to reveal the evening's main event. Visitors confronted with pineapple-topped food displays felt particularly honored by a hostess who obviously spared no expense to ensure her guests' dining pleasure.

In this manner, the fruit which was the visual keystone of the feast naturally came to symbolize the high spirits of the social events themselves; the image of the pineapple coming to express the sense of welcome, good cheer, human warmth and family affection inherent to such gracious home gatherings.

L.W.S. Petznick, Ph.D.

McFaddin-Ward House

Curator of Collections

725 Third St.