But, it was the firescreen's/women's makeup melting story that caught my attention. An online search finds numerous references to that story, but not as a myth. If that is indeed a myth, I would appreciate knowing more about how the myth evolved.

Not sure about the firescreen keeping the makeup from melting, but “mind your beeswax” supposively developed from beeswax makeup that would melt if you were too close to the fire.
--
Yakima Valley Museum
yakimavalleymuseum.org