I work at an electronics museum that focuses on military defense electronic. We have a wide collection of military radars, some of these are currently corroding. These include our SCR 268, AN/DPN-34 and DPN 53 antennas. They seem to have a green, zinc-cromate covering over the magnesium-aluminium alloy (?). The corrosion looks like a white hard powder attached to the outer layer of the objects zinc-cromate paint. We aren't sure how to care for it or to prevent it. We do not have the budget for a conservator and I was wondering if anyone had any in-house treatments.  We do realize that temperature and relative humidity is a problem that we are currently unable to gain control.   Has anyone encountered any similar problems in your collection? Thank you very much for any help that you can provide.

Gwen Nelmes
Assistant Director
Historical Electronics Museum
1745 West Nursery Road