I’m no expert, but I think they might well at least have to file an amended tax return for the year of the donation, especially if it was any sizeable amount. I seriously doubt you could give that kind of money back without some tax adjustment. Clearly you need to call the IRS on this one.  In my experience they are usually very accessible (start with your phone book), very nice, and very helpful.

State tax is also a consideration in states that have income taxes, but charitable donations rules are probably are based on federal returns.

Lucy Sperlin

From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Pamela Silvestri
Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 4:30 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Return of monetary gift and the IRS

Good question. I can't see how they would/could be penalized. That was a valid charitable contribution for that tax year. Your organization has held that funding since then. This also is an amount of time for which their money, had it not been donated could have been earning interest or invested (and taxed).

Unless you provide them with a 1099 or whatever IRS filing form may be required (if one is), the return of their donation will not be subjected to tax or penalty because obviously it cannot be considered as income.

I would also consult with your State's Attorney General's office regarding the refunds.

Pam