Denise,

Approximately how many objects are in the Museum's collection? As you know, digitizing entire collections is a quite a task, so I'm wondering what kind of time you have to commit to this etc? Is the board expecting you do complete this project by yourself?

Digitizing collections should be part of an overall documentation plan. While photographing objects (and therefore handling them), this is a great opportunity to update/produce condition reports and re-house them if need be. The documentation plan will also guide you through the entire process.

There are some objects (like documents, photographs) that you may be better off scanning. Digitizing collections serves so many purposes. Photographing the collections and having negatives available for future use/reference is a great backup. This is a great option if the museum has a photographic scanner (that can scan negatives).

Using black and white limits options. If you use color film and/or a digital camera...these can be converted into black and white images. Having negatives available for reference/use is a more viable option than having prints made for every object.

Ok I want to get back to the scope of your project here. Is is realistic for you to complete this project on your own? I'm getting the impression that the board has high expectations here and that they may be expecting too much from you as a volunteer?

Any project that you undertake should be something that another can readily pick up on if you are unable to complete it, etc. Also, I was wondering if you could narrow down the scope of the project and say - start by documenting (photographing, etc) all the ceramics in the collections, a special collection, the photographic collections, etc.

Good luck - keep us posted on your progress!

Pam