From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Denise Haynes
Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 7:41 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Photographing Collections

Thanks so much for the advice, Heather!

When I mentioned the non-archival quality of digital photography, I was referring to the upgrading that was needed every so-many years to store the information (cds and computer programs), in addition to the quality of the printed copies. In my day job,  we use B&W photos because (when stored properly & when TRUE B&W film is used) they can have a shelf life of 75 years or more, thus more or less establishing a 'permanent record'. [National Register of Historic Places/National Historic Landmark photo policy] Whereas, computer printer ink and photo paper is not really archival, but ok for short-term use.

I suppose my question should be: should I look at photographing the collections as establishing a "permanent record' or just think about it as something that will probably have to be done again in 'x' number of years?

Denise

Find e-mail, documents and more on your PC instantly with Windows Desktop Search-FREE!

If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the message should read "Signoff Museum-L" (without the quotes). ========================================================= Important Subscriber Information: