Hi Gwen:

Yes we have this problem, not necessarily on radar equipment though. Nor do
we have good climate control. Nor do we have resources for a conservator.

Unfortuntaely the key is climate control. No matter what treatment you use
to remove or mitigate the corrosion, if it goes back into the same
environment the corrosion will likely reappear.

My strategy has been very conservative. First I try to relocate such
artifacts to storage areas which have the best possible climate and control
thereof. Second, if the corrosion looks well adhered, uniform, and
apparently stable (ie. its not flaking off, its fairly smooth, its not
strange colors or globular) I leave it alone. I feel pretty strongly that
partial or stop gap treatments will actually make the problem worse in the
long-run.

I'm sure more knowledgable folks can offer better advice, but I hope this
helps.

Mark D. Hanson
Curator
Octave Chanute Aerospace Museum