In a message dated 1/18/2006 8:43:13 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

I  suppose my question should be: should I look at photographing the
collections  as establishing a "permanent record' or just think about it as something
that  will probably have to be done again in 'x' number of  years?

I think your goal certainly should be to establish a permanent record with
the highest quality photography on film that you can accomplish--including
professional quality lighting.  Why waste your time doing a project that  will
just have to be repeated?  With the negatives as your archival record,  you can
scan them to produce your working digital files to use for reproduction
purposes, selective printing, Web display, etc.  If economics forces you  into a
cheaper alternative, so be it, but I'd push for permanence if at all  possible.
By contributing your labor, you're already saving the  institution the
biggest cost.

David Haberstich