Dear List Members:

I work for a small historic preservation organization in New York City. We are membership-based (about 14,000 individuals, families, and groups altogether, including members, prospects, and complimentary memberships). We are looking for a better database to keep track of them all. We are also looking for a database that can handle our development needs, which includes keeping track of a small number of foundation and government grants, and special events that bring in money. Our budget is $300,000. We are not a collecting institution, so collections software is not an issue.

We currently use Access (I believe designed by a staff member who is no longer with the organization sometime long ago) and have found that it isn't suiting our needs anymore. I have considered three programs so far -- a new an improved design of Access (by someone who knows more about it than me!); Giftworks, and Exceed! Basic.

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts (good and bad) on these, or any other databases you might be pleased with. While I have my thoughts on each of these, I would love to hear any feedback from the trenches.

Best,

Sheryl Woodruff

Director of Operations, Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation