FWIW

The W.H. Mathers Museum at Indiana University, where I was formerly Curator, had a system for rolled textiles which I think is unique and very simple.

-Hardware store chains were hung from the ceiling in pairs.

-Hardware store aluminum conduit was cut in comparable lengths and holes drilled in each end.

-Hardware store S-hooks were used to hang the conduits from the paired chains.

-Textiles were rolled on carpet rubes (sealed with polyurethane), wrapped in muslin.

-The tubes were threaded onto the conduits and hung from the chains by the S-hooks:

etc.

Depending upon the distance between the chains, multiple textile rolls could be on a single conduit, but only a single textile was on a roll.

I believe the design was by the conservator, Judith Sylvester, qv.

Thomas W. Kavanagh
Seton Hall University Museum