Remko,

My response will not be helpful in resolving the question of storing CD/DVD disks, but may resolve the problem of archiving digital image files a different way.

Having to store and keep a reference system for CDs and DVDs and worry about physically keeping track of them, discouraged me from going that route. Add to that the inevitable obsolescence of all media and readers and I just created myself another pressing project that will never go away!

 I use a service provider (www.lanechange.net) to back up my picture files off site about once a month. I keep six upload versions, or six months worth, "FIFO bucket-brigade" style with the newest upload replacing the oldest copy. I save all files with original dates and file names, so they remain chronologically sortable two ways.

The advantages of having hard-drive access is that you don't have to keep track of the disks and figure out which one has the image you want. You can browse without having to mount disks in your CD/DVD drive, exposing your archived disks to potential harm from handling. One never needs to worry about media obsolescence and can use programs like Adobe Photoshop Album and/or IrfanView to quickly browse your collection. In find this works out very well and never spend more than a few minutes looking for a file.

Happy New Year to All

George

George Schwartz
ConservArt - Master Frame Makers and Art Conservators
http://www.ConservArt.com
8177 Glades Road #16 - Boca Raton, FL 33434 U.S.A.
Tel:(561)482-7292 - Fax:(561)482-6787
mailto:[log in to unmask]

*** Tired of Spam? Checkout Email Defense!

http://www.lanechange.net/html/email_defense.shtml