Hello,

We have just been offered a wood "basket" type object for our Collection,
but are having a little difficulty identifying it.  It is made from solid
wood, finger joined at the corners, with a flush notched wood handle.  There
are metal straps at the corners and handle, and the straps cross at the four
bottom corners to make feet.  It was painted and there are two carved hearts
on opposite sides.  There are also remnants of red paint on the hearts, and
on the other sides that could have been painted decorations.  It measures
approximately 13" wide x 13" long x 10" high, and tapers at the bottom to 9"
x 9".

The owner bought it from an antique dealer near Little Switzerland, North
Carolina.  The Antique Roadshow (hmm) folks didn't have much of an idea
about it, but did say they thought it dated around 1840s/70s, maybe from the
North Carolina mountains.

I can e-mail photos, just let me know.  Thanks!

Lee Goodan

Registrar

Gaston County Museum