Oh ok -right! Sorry...I'm a little slow, didn't realize you were referring to those stores hehe. So true because all though they have 'departments', 'training' for their employees, etc., does not mean they are 'specialized' in that they have years of experience and knowledge. A definite difference.

Retail employees for sure do not have the vested interest even that my cousin's store depends upon.

The vanishing breed is so true too. My cousin has to cope with a Home Depot that just moved into town and is more concerned about a Lowe's that may be built in the general vicinity of her store.

But the local community can do much to protect local businesses. I've been watching this in Stafford Springs, CT. A Walmart wants to com into town and the locals are fighting to protect the local businesses.

So many towns in CT and throughout the US are selling out to big business for the sake of adding to their tax base. We've seen this change the entire character of towns.

It is interesting to see how the smaller businesses have coped and survived through this and sad to see how others have been unable to.

In regards to the retailers you are referring to -absolutely 'bigger' is not better nad they are by far the wrong places to rely on for wall carpetting and many other products. I feel lucky if I do find an employee who is knowledgeable, but always, I try to get info from as many resources as possible in order to make an informed decision.

So many times we are misinformed - only because an employee can't or won't take the time to do the research. One of my pet peeves is when they give incorrect info, if only to try to appease a customer, close a sale or they are having a bad day.

In any case - glad that you brought up that issue!

Pam